Takano’s work is the exemplification of Japan’s post-war cultural affluence, and its overwhelmingly diverse, yet aesthetic unification of information.
With inspirations varying from 14th Century Italian religious painting to alien evidence to MTV, Takano’s worlds are shiny and futuristic, yet soft and full of traditional and sensual imagery. Her drawings and paintings in which lively, female characters float and contort their waiflike bodies, convey a passionate drive toward creation.
In Japan, Takano is prolific as a manga artist, illustrator, and science fiction essayist. She has several serialized publications, and is regularly featured in subculture articles. In the art markets of Europe and America, her paintings and drawings are enthusiastically received.
– The Jelly Civilization Chronicle, Galerie Perrotin, Paris, France
– Synesthesia, Pavillon Bosio, École Supérieure d’Arts Plastiques, Monte Carlo, Monaco
– The Ocean Inside, The Flowers Inside, Johyun Gallery, Busan, South Korea
– La Maison d’Aya BIBO, Hong Kong
– Heaven Is Inside Of You, Galerie Perrotin, Hong Kong
– To Lose Is To Gain, Galerie Perrotin, Paris, France
– Stars, flowers and honeynight, SieboldHuis, Leiden, Netherlands
– The Universe Portal, Kaikai Kiki Gallery, Taipei, Taiwan
– Aya Takano, Museum Frieder Burda, Baden Baden, Germany
– Hong Kong Art Fair, Booth Galerie Emmanuel Perrotin, Hong Kong